Before even starting the tour we have received a number of inquiries on our gear and bike. We will update this as we make changes during the tour.
Our tandem is a Calfee Tetra that will have about 4000 miles of riding before we start our 2021 tour. We love this bike! It handles like a carbon road bike! (Well, we exaggerate just a bit.) 😊 But like always the real important stuff is in the details that follow. Special thanks to Kevin at Tandem Cycle Works of Denver for a perfect build and fit.
A bit more context on our component selection. We spec'd a lot of carbon to reduce the effects of road vibrations. Then we went with a belt drive, internal hub drive train for minimal maintenance on the road. The internal hub also removes the need to pull the cassette to fix a drive side broken spoke.
Starting Bike Setup
- Calfee Tetra carbon frame and fork, clear coat, S&S couplers
- Chris King Inset headset
- Phil Wood stainless steel bottom brackets front and rear
- FSA SLK front and rear carbon cranks
- Gates CDX chainrings
- Gates Carbon Drive tandem timing belt
- Gates Carbon Drive rear belt
- Rohloff speed hub, and round hub shifter
- TRP Hydraulic assist disc brakes
- 200 mm disc brake rotors front and rear
- Swiss DT front hub
- 36 spoke Rude Andra rims front and rear
- Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires
- SPD pedals front and rear
- SRAM single cable levers
- Easton carbon front stem
- Fizik carbon front bars
- Syntase carbon seat post front
- Kinekt aluminum seat post rear
- Profile Wing carbon rear bars
- ControlTech rear stem aluminum
Handlebar and Frame Bags
Full disclosure! All supplied by our son's company Exile Designs.